Subject: Art, Early Childhood, Foreign Language, General Education, Language Arts/English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies | Grade: K–12
NJTV Education Initiatives
American Graduate Day:
American Graduate Day is a live, multi-platform broadcast produced annually by WNET in partnership with the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. Broadcast every fall from Tisch WNET Studio at Lincoln Center, this engagement campaign has featured inspirational stories from over 100 nonprofit partners and has recognized more than 4 million American Graduate Champions working to keep kids on the path to graduation.
· NJTV airs the full American Graduate Day broadcast every year (2012-2016).
· NJTV has produced six “Stories of Champions” promotional videos, including two that were featured on the 2014 and 2015 broadcasts.
· National newsanchor Mary Alice Williams and correspondents Michael Hill and Lauren Wanko have appeared as hosts.
· NJTV produced a Champions Recognition Event at the Agnes Varis Studio in October 2015 to honor three NJ educators named “American Graduate Champions”.
NJTV’s Classroom Close-Up, produced by NJEA, is a weekly Emmy-award winning television series featuring innovative projects in New Jersey public schools. This 30-minute weekly series features the students, teachers, school staff, and communities who create and participate in successful school projects and events.
PBS Learning Media of New Jersey:
PBS LearningMedia is a free and innovative digital content library developed to harness the power of public media to support curriculum-based teaching and learning.
· 120,000+ digital media assets across all K-12 curriculum areas.
· 21,000+ educators from New Jersey.
· Partnered with Liberty Science Center to create a PBS LearningMedia resource as part of the American Graduate Collection, promoting STEM education and careers.
· PBS LearningMedia Master Teachers Program creates a community of local “master teachers” adept at using PBS LearningMedia resources in the classroom.
PBS Student Reporting Labs:
NJTV news correspondent Lauren Wanko is a mentor with PBS NewsHour’s Student Reporting Labs, helping youth from Philips Academy Charter School (a K-8 charter school in Newark, NJ) develop journalism skills through news reporting.
· Students covered AGD 2014 and 2015 with behind-the-scenes interviews.
· Students covered the Agnes Varis NJTV Studio ribbon-cutting ceremony in Spring 2015 where they interviewed NJ Senator Cory Booker.
· Students traveled to Washington DC for four days of hands-on video production training, where they also interviewed White House Video Director Adam Garber.
· NJ student named PBS NewsHourStudent Reporter “All Star” in Spring 2015.
Agnes Varis NJTV Studio:
NJTV’s NJM Community Room engages the community by providing innovative, hands-on public programs for students, teachers, veterans, and residents of New Jersey.
Ask Away – NJTV News:
NJTV is one of three New Jersey newsrooms piloting Hearken, a new technology that transforms the journalism process by putting the curiosity of the community at the heart of reporting. The end result is original reporting that is more relevant to and co-created with communities.
Family PreSchool Night at the Newark Museum:
Over the past three years, WNET distributed educational resources to over 3,000 families at the event to encourage summer learning at home and provided meet-and-greet sessions with beloved PBS KIDS characters.
NJTV launched a year-long public media and community initiative to address the heroin epidemic in New Jersey in order to engage the public, stakeholders, and partners in the healthcare community.
Media in the Classroom:
WNET has partnered with two local universities to conduct workshops informing preservice teachers on how to use media in the classroom.
NJTV is a regular exhibiter at the annual NJEA convention in Atlantic City, through a partnership with Classroom Close-Up, NJ.
PBS LearningMedia Digital Innovators:
More than 40 educators from across New Jersey have been recognized as PBS LearningMedia Digital Innovators. These innovative educators exemplify excellence in using technology and digital media to support student learning. NJTV Education hosts annual meet-ups for the NJ Digital Innovators at NJEA headquarters in Trenton and at our Newark studios.
RWJ Barnabas Health Center:
NJTV has partnered with RWJ Barnabas Health to bring bilingual PBS KIDS activities and books to the children in the Pediatric Emergency Room at RWJ Barnabas Medical Center.