While Amtrak’s emergency track work will disrupt your commute and cause delays, there are things that you can do.
1. PLAN YOUR COMMUTE
The best way to stay ahead of the disruptions is to plan ahead. We’ve compiled a list of service changes to help you navigate the system.
2. STAY UP TO DATE
Keep yourself informed of the latest delays on your commute. Here are some helpful links:
3. SHARE WITH US
Do you have a helpful transit story? Have you found a good alternate route? Share your story with us.
You can also help by telling us how long your commute was. We’re determining each day’s daily delay and sharing with our viewers. Watch NJTV News on NJTV and THIRTEEN and MetroFocus on NJTV, THIRTEEN and WLIW21, and follow us on @NJTVNews and @MetroFocus.
We’ve collected a list of upcoming service changes. Read on to see how the track work will affect your commute.
**Regular Weekend Service on All Lines**
Weekday Services Changes
- Midtown Direct trains on the Morristown Line scheduled to arrive in Penn Station NY after 7:00 a.m. will be diverted to Hoboken for the rest of the service day.
- Diverted to/from Hoboken
- Regular schedule with minor time changes to/from NY Penn Station
- Midtown Direct trains will not stop at Newark Broad Street during peak hours.
- Check the schedules at station stops as they may have changed.
Click here for more info on the Morris and Essex lines.
- Regular schedule with minor time changes to/from NY Penn Station.
North Jersey Coast Line:
- Regular schedule, minor time changes.
- Hoboken-bound trains will terminate at Newark Penn Station.
- Customers can utilize rail service to Secaucus and transfer to Hoboken-bound trains. Hoboken tickets will be honored at Secaucus. See gate agent upon arrival
Raritan Valley Line:
- Regular weekday schedules with minor adjustments.
Main/Bergen/Pascack/Port Jervis Lines:
- Regular weekday schedules.
- However, connecting PATH trains at Hoboken Terminal may be different.
Atlantic City Line:
- Will operate on Regular weekday schedules.
**M&E Midtown Direct customers will receive up to a 63 percent discount off their regular New York fare, and will be able to utilize cross-honoring in Hoboken and alternates described below. M&E Midtown Direct customers should purchase a Hoboken destination ticket for July and August. **
- No changes.
Northeast Regional Service:
- Three round trip trains (six total trains) between New York and Washington cancelled.
Service between New York and Boston will operate at currently scheduled levels.
- Three round trip trains (six total trains) will start and end in Philadelphia.
- One round trip train (two total trains) will start/end at Newark.
- Service between Philadelphia and Harrisburg will operate at currently scheduled levels.
- Three roundtrip trains (six total trains) will operate between Albany-Rensselaer and Grand Central Terminal (NYG) instead of New York Penn Station (NYP).
- The Crescent — operating between New York and New Orleans — will originate and terminate in Washington daily during work period. Connections will be provided on other Northeast Corridor trains.
- An extra westbound early-morning train will depart from Freeport at 5:43 AM and arrive at Penn Station at 6:24 AM.
- Several morning commute trains to NY Penn will be redirected to Atlantic Terminal. Check LIRR site for exact times.
- Some morning commute trains are cancelled
- Two morning commute trains will have added stops. (check LIRR site for exact times & departing locations)
- 3:31 PM train from Penn is an extra train that will run express to Rockville Centre, then make all local stops to Babylon.
- An extra evening rush hour train will be provided from Hunterspoint Avenue at 7:02 PM, stopping at Jamaica, then Rockville Centre, Baldwin and Freeport, arriving at 7:42 PM.
- Two evening commute trains from NY Penn Station are cancelled
- Two evening commute trains have added stops.
- Several trains will have added cars to accommodate extra passengers
Far Rockaway Branch:
- 8:10 AM Train to Penn Station will end at Jamaica. Customers can catch Penn-bound Trains from there.
- Two evening commute trains from NY Penn will be rerouted to terminate at Atlantic Terminal
- To evening commute trains from NY Penn will instead originate from Jamaica.
- Extra Off-Peak train departing Penn Station at 8:25 PM and arriving Far Rockaway at 9:19 PM.
- One early morning commute train will not operate
- An extra early morning train will be added that will end at Atlantic Terminal
- Two morning commute trains to NY Penn will be redirected to Jamaica. From Jamaica customers can catch NY Penn bound trains.
- Two evening commute trains from Penn will now originate from Atlantic Terminal. Two will originate from Jamaica.
- One extra train will be added that departs from NY Penn at 7:18PM
- One train will add two extra cars.
- The 6:21 AM train from Speonk will depart three minutes earlier at all stations Speonk through Babylon, and will add stops at Massapequa Park, Massapequa and Seaford. Its arrival times at Jamaica and Penn Station will remain unchanged at 8:01 AM and 8:23 AM, respectively.
Port Jefferson Branch:
- 6:25 AM train from Hicksville, due at Penn at 7:11 AM, will be rerouted to Atlantic Terminal (arriving 7:11 AM).
- 5:06 PM train from Penn, stopping at Syosset and terminating at Huntington at 6:07 PM, is cancelled. Customers can take the 5:17 PM train from Penn, which will make all stops of the cancelled train.
- 1 morning commute and one evening commute train will have extra cars.
Port Washington Branch:
- An extra early-morning train will depart Port Washington at 5:22 AM and arrive at Penn Station at 6:03 AM.
- 8:04 AM express from Great Neck, due at Penn Station at 8:38 AM, will not operate. As an alternative, customers may take the 8:24 AM from Great Neck, which will make added stops at Little Neck, Douglaston and Woodside, arriving Penn at 8:59 AM.
- Several trains will have added cars.
- An Extra Off-Peak train will depart NY Penn at 3:40 PM
- Two evening commute trains from NY Penn will instead originate at Hunterspoint Ave.
- Two evening commute trains are cancelled.
- One train will have added cars for the evening commute
- An extra early-morning train will be provided, departing Farmingdale at 4:53 AM and arriving at Penn Station at 6:00 AM.
- The 6:54 AM express from Central Islip, normally due into Penn Station at 8:06 AM, will end its run at Jamaica at 7:44 AM, where customers can catch Penn-bound trains departing at 7:53 AM and 8:01 AM.
West Hempstead Branch:
- 7:36 AM train from West Hempstead, due at Penn Station at 8:29 AM, will be rerouted to Hunterspoint Avenue (arriving at 8:22 AM).
WHAT ARE MY ALTERNATE ROUTE OPTIONS?
For NJ Transit Riders
- PATH, Light Rail, NJ Transit Buses, NY Waterway Ferry will all operate extra service.
- NJ TRANSIT tickets to and from New York will be cross-honored by the following private bus carriers – DeCamp, Lakeland Bus Lines, and Community Transit (Coach USA)
LIRR Travel Alternatives:
Park & Ride Bus Options:
Park and Ride at Bus Routes available for FREE for ticket holders at:
- North Hempstead Beach Park
- Belmont Racetrack
- Valley Stream LIRR
- Roosevelt Field Shopping Mall
- Nassau Coliseum
- Bethpage State Park
- Seaford LIRR
Subway Connections To Manhattan:
- Atlantic Terminal: 2,3,4,5,B,D,N,Q,R
- Jamaica: E,J,Z
- Hunterspoint Avenue: 7
- Free for LIRR customers who present a valid LIRR ticket
- Long Island City – 34 St. via shuttle bus from Hunterspoint LIRR Station
- Glen Cove – 34 St.
- Glen Cove-Wall St/Pier 11