WNET’s Communications Group is currently seeking a self-motivated student interested in public relations and media relations within public television. This Summer Internship at WNET is non-paid (academic credit optional) and available to undergraduate and graduate students. WNET will gladly assist with any required paperwork for students seeking school credit for their internship work. This is an exceptional opportunity for someone interested in in-house corporate communications and media relations within a media organization.
Description of Duties
The intern will be immersed in all aspects of local, national and institutional publicity for THIRTEEN and WLIW21 productions. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting publicists develop publicity materials for national series including Nature, Great Performances and American Masters;
- Building media lists
- Coordinating press mailings
- Writing photo captions
- Monitoring press clips
- Conducting research and fact-checking for series’ press materials
- Working on special projects and events such as screenings, the Television Critics Association Press Tour and all-stations meetings
- Writing posts for The Owl, WNET’s company newsletter
Skills & Qualifications
- Major in Communications or PR helpful but not required.
- Strong oral, written, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in MS Office: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook calendar management. Cision a plus.
- Ability to multi-task
- Attention to detail
- Have a sense of urgency to complete work on tight deadlines
- Ease and professionalism on the phone and in person, must feel comfortable cold-calling people inside and outside the company for information.
- A passion for news, current events and media is a plus
Commitment and Scheduling
Scheduling is flexible, with preference given to students willing to commit for longer internships. Start dates and end dates are flexible.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, proof of enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program and writing sample (1-2 pages, no term papers) to: email@example.com. Please do not send links to online resumes.